Blog Archive

Featured Post

The MMDA Puzzle

Based on reports that I've been hearing, it appears that the Highway Patrol Group or HPG has been pulled out of its traffic duties alon...

Friday, November 6, 2009

Something for the Homeless People

Last night, as I was riding in a bus on my way home, I saw two homeless persons sitting on the sidewalk and staring blankly at God knows what. They look hungry and cold, as most homeless people do.

At about the same time, the bus TV (yes, it has one) was playing the video concert of British singer Phil Collins. He was performing the song 'Another Day in Paradise'.

Phil Collins composed and dedicated the song to all the homeless people all around the world.

Was it mere coincidence the song was playing when I saw those two homeless persons on the street that night?

We often think of them as unsightly, smelly, and at times dangerous people, which can be understandable. Yet, they are not really different from the rest of us. They are still breathing, living human beings, who, by some strange and perhaps wicked twist of fate, underwent one or two harrowing experience.

Who knows if what they went through and continue to go through will be the very same things that some or all of us may someday go through as well?

It's a bit far-fetched of course. But you have to admit that fate can be very cruel every now and then. With that in mind, how certain are we that we will not suffer the same fate as these homeless ones?

I'm supposed you're thinking now that I'm part of some non-government organization. No, I'm not, and just like those homeless people, I too have my own monsters that I have yet to deal with. Even if I wanted to, I could not really be of much help to them.

So what's the point of writing about them? I don't really know. Maybe it's just my own lilttle way of helping each one of us realize that homeless people do exist and they continue to grow. While life opportunities abound, very few are being presented to them, not even a small shelter to spend the night in. Maybe we can start from there as our initial assistance.

An excerpt from Phil Collin's song said it aptly: "...Sir, can you help me? It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep. Is there somewhere you can tell me?"





No comments:

Post a Comment